Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Specifically, I run for Crohn's research.  I have signed up to participate in and raise money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) Team Challenge Las Vegas Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon.  The race is December 2, 2012 and happens on the Las Vegas strip in the evening... couldn't think of a better place to stay entertained while hauling 13.1 miles.  I have the goal of raising $2,700 by November 14, 2012 to support research for better treatments for this disease.

So why do I run for Crohn's research?  I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 15 months ago, and the disease had probably been active, at a low level, for several years prior to my diagnosis.  Now, despite medical care and trials of several immunosuppressive drugs, my disease continues to worsen.  My doctor and I haven't found the right therapy (or cocktail of agents) yet to slow down or halt my disease.  More, and better, therapeutic options are needed for Crohn's and colitis sufferers out there like me.

In addition to my fundraising for the CCFA Team Challenge, I wanted to create this blog for a few reasons.  I want to use it to thank those individuals who support my effort and fundraising goals and provide updates on my fundraising and training progress.  Also, after grappling with figuring out what Crohn's will mean for my life, I have decided that I want to be a greater advocate for Crohn's and colitis research.  As a student pursuing both my medical degree and Ph.D. in biomedical engineering, I think my background gives me a valuable perspective on Crohn's-related research.  I hope to digest some of the advances in the basic and clinical sciences for Crohn's and colitis, and share them in a broken-down, readable fashion.

Thanks for reading, and I will post again as soon as my Team Challenge fundraising page goes live.

No comments:

Post a Comment